Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A Pretty Occupied Week...

Last week was a pretty occupied week for me. Went for the CME, short for continuous medical education, session, hosted an occupational safety and health event, had a meeting and the "best" part of all - had to work on Saturday. Though it was tiring, but I really did enjoyed all the given tasks. =)

Let me just start off with the CME session which was something about biotechnology as a tool to control the transmission of diseases by mosquitoes. The speaker was from the States and his research team did researches and studies on how to prevent disease transmission by mosquitoes. The irony was that, in their country, there weren't any issues related to mosquitoes i.e. dengue, malaria etc. But despite this fact, they were the ones who've came up with scientific solutions on how to prevent such event. How irony! We in contrast, are the ones facing the real situation yet we ourselves haven't managed to come up with any effective solutions. Though we have those people coming to our housing/office areas doing the fogging part, I was told that this was not really an effective way of killing such parasite - most of them were already 'immune' to the 'smoke'. I'm not sure about the statistics of how many people have died due to dengue, malaria or any other mosquito-transferred diseases but I surely am aware that the numbers are quite worrying in Malaysia. I know we are wayyyy 10 years (or probably more?) behind those developed countries in terms of the R&D. But if we could somehow, come up with any ideas to solve such matter, we could be an excellent example to other countries facing the exact problem. There're too much debatable issues about the lagging of our research - I definitely am not going to blabber about it over here but yeah, I suppose this is a point where we can ponder upon right?

On another account, I was offered to be the Master of Ceremony or the emcee (MC) in a simpler word, in conjunction with the Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) Week for the whole institute. To be honest, I've never been an emcee before for such a big event. It was an experience for me and to my surprise, I wasn't even shaking throughout the whole session, neither did I had that stage-freight (I thought I am?)! That's a wow and alhamdulillah things went well. Praise be upon Allah.

Anyhow, just an update about the last posts - as expected, no action has been taken by below mentioned parties so far. The last thing I did about this matter was to call them, lodge complaint and asked them to investigate further. It has been 2 weeks since then. I suppose I was too frustrated to follow-up on this matter hence I'll just leave it like that. If I continue digging out information, calling in here and there, at the end of the day, it would be me who'll be in despair.

I want to take this chance to wish all of you Eid'ul Adha. May all of us will always be under the blessing of Allah. Amin...

x fairy x

No comments:

Post a Comment